Saturday, August 16, 2014

Why I make pretty little hankies

I make pretty little hankies because we need them. 


A well-meaning woman once commented on this handkerchief I made, "It is a cute pattern but no one uses handkerchiefs anymore so you need to put it on something else." I didn't respond. I was hurt, thinking back on the many many hours I had just worked happily creating my art and her suggestion was to toss it and try again. After swallowing some pride, my thought was, "I use them."

Just so you know, I do know what Kleenex is. I'm not saying use my handkerchiefs for when you have the flu. That is kind of a bad and gross idea. What I am saying is when you are moved or saddened, using a handkerchief is a deeper comfort than a tissue for those few falling tears. It isn't just the softness or the eco-friendly advantage that appeals to me, although there is that too. It is the connection to beauty, to the past, the texture of the stitches, and partaking in the simple old tradition of carrying a handkerchief that adds to my comfort.

 Tears come. Sometimes when we are lucky enough they are tears of joy which is why making bridal handkerchiefs are fun. This one was bought by a man to give his bride on their wedding day. I felt very honored to be a tiny part of their special day. 

Sadly most tears are not for the happy times. A very sweet and thoughtful brother bought this handkerchief for his sister. Her daughter was fighting the last of her battle with leukemia. I have learned as an artist there is no greater feeling than when you know your work has reached the person made for. I had no idea when I made this who it was for but now I know it was for this grieving mother. My hope is it brought her comfort. 

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted." Matthew 5:4

I started carrying around a hankie in my purse regularly after my daughter passed away. The tears would come anytime anywhere and this was one of my only ways of coping for that time. It is a very simple and helpful tip I have passed on to other mamas of loss. My love for pretty little hankies started when they provided me the comfort I so needed. 

Jesus said, "...In this world you will have trouble but take heart; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The tulips in the rain handkerchief is not currently on Etsy but still for sale. Contact me if you are interested. 



No comments:

Post a Comment